* Please note that not every expedition has couples’ or single's accommodations available. Please call or email Earthwatch to check for availability prior to reserving your space(s) on the team.
You will be staying at the Hotel Bringué in the Valley of Ordino, Andorra. Each room is equipped with two beds, so volunteers can expect to share their room with another teammate. Rooms will be split by gender, but couples can easily be accommodated upon request. All rooms are climate-controlled and bedding is provided, along with basic toiletries.
* Earthwatch will honor each person’s assertion of gender identity, respectfully and without judgement. For both teen and adult teams, where logistics dictate single-sex accommodations or other facilities, participant placements will be made in accordance with the gender identity the participant specified on their Earthwatch Participant form and/or preferences indicated in discussions with Earthwatch.
All rooms have hot water showers and conventional toilets. The hotel offers a laundry service with a cost that depends on the quality and quantity of clothes (consider a max cost of 30€). Please bring sufficient clothing to save on washer and dryer costs.
You are welcome to bring electrical equipment. Andorra uses 220–240 volt type F plugs.
FACILITIES AND AMENITIES
The hotel has a spa, a gym, wireless Internet, and access to hiking trails. The accommodations will be the main site for all group activities including meals, presentations, and relaxation time. Feel free to bring cards and board games.
Free Wi-Fi is available at the accommodations. Cell service is also available, but you will have to check with your carrier to set up international calling in advance.
Please note that personal communication with outsiders is not always possible while participating in an expedition. Earthwatch encourages volunteers to minimize outgoing calls and immerse themselves in the experience; likewise, family and friends should restrict calls to urgent messages only.
DISTANCE TO THE FIELD SITE
Research will take place in many different sites within the Valley of Ordino. Elevation ranges from 4,900–8,200 feet, and volunteers should expect varying terrain types and steepness. For any given site, volunteers can expect to drive up to 15 minutes and walk between 30 to 90 minutes to reach each location. Distances will vary depending on the team and research needs.
FOOD AND WATER
You’ll eat breakfasts and dinners at the hotel restaurant, which features Catalan and French style food. For lunch, the team will pack sandwiches, fruit, and other snacks to enjoy while taking in the scenery. Goat cheeses are a Pyrenean specialty along with salads, vegetables, and local meats.
The following are examples of foods you may find in the field. Variety depends on availability. We appreciate your flexibility.
Smoking and alcohol consumption are not permitted on teen expeditions
- Breakfast: Buffet with cereals, fruit, bagels, hard-boiled eggs, cheese, yogurt, coffee, tea
- Lunch: One sandwich, a picnic tapper with salad, pasta, rice, and fruit (packed lunches prepared for the field)
- Dinner: Varied menus including salad, pasta, soups, vegetables, meat, fish and desserts
- Snacks: Fruit, chips, pretzels, granola bars, etc.
- Beverages: Water (okay to drink from the tap) and different juices. A cup of wine per person is included in the menu. Extra alcoholic drinks are not included.
SPECIAL DIETARY REQUIREMENTS
Please alert Earthwatch to any special dietary requirements (e.g., diabetes, lactose intolerance, nut or other food allergies, vegetarian or vegan diets) as soon as possible, and note them in the space provided on your volunteer forms.
This project can cater to vegetarian, vegan, lactose free, and gluten free diets, but please, we need to know in advance and clearly indicate your preference when filling out your volunteer forms.