* Please note that not every expedition has couples’ or single's accommodations available. Please call or email Earthwatch to check for availability prior to reserving your space(s) on the team.
The team will share bedrooms in a bunkhouse at the Schoodic Education and Research Center (SERC) campus in Acadia National Park. The campus is the largest National Park Service research learning center in the United States. Until 2002, the building that now houses the education and research center was a U.S. Navy base.
* Earthwatch will honor each person’s assertion of gender identity, respectfully and without judgement. For both teen and adult teams, where logistics dictate single-sex accommodations or other facilities, participant placements will be made in accordance with the gender identity the participant specified on their Earthwatch Participant form and/or preferences indicated in discussions with Earthwatch.
The bunkhouse has male and female shower rooms—each with two showers and a toilet—as well as two individual bathrooms.
You are welcome to bring your own electronic equipment (cell phones, digital cameras, laptops, etc.), you may be required to limit your use of laptops to recreational time only. You will be asked to use your phone for some apps such as iNaturalist, Nature’s Notebook, and or eBird.
The campus is equipped with Wi-Fi capability.
DISTANCE TO THE FIELD SITE
The main field sites will all be within walking distance of the campus, no more than one mile away. For any trips to field sites farther away, we will use a van.
FOOD AND WATER
Participants will eat together with research staff and sometimes with other science groups on campus. Breakfast and Dinner are served cafeteria style. Bag lunches are eaten in the field.
The following are examples of foods you may find in the field. Variety depends on availability. We appreciate your flexibility.
- Breakfast: Eggs, pancakes, french toast, bagels, yogurt, granola and fresh fruit
- Lunch: Bag lunches: sandwich, fruit, cookie or bar, and chips
- Dinner: Pot roast, baked chicken, lasagna, breads, salad bar, and dessert
- Beverages: Coffee, tea, tap water, soda, iced tea, and lemonade
SPECIAL DIETARY REQUIREMENTS
Please alert Earthwatch to any special dietary requirements (e.g., diabetes, lactose intolerance, nut or other food allergies, vegetarian or vegan diets) as soon as possible, and note them in the space provided on your participant forms.
This project can cater for vegetarian diets easily, as well as vegan, halal, gluten-free, and lactose-free diets.