This position is no longer recruiting!
Location: United States (New York City)
Position Type: Contractor/Consultant
Department: Program Delivery
The Science Education Fundraising Associate will support up to 12 high school teachers across New York City in fundraising for student experiential learning trips on Earthwatch expeditions. We are looking for a part time consultant to work approximately 20 hours/week for a total of 520 hours from September 2017 – March 2018. The position is responsible for raising at least $75,000. S/he will meet with each teacher, learn what families can contribute and how much funding the teacher has already raised, and create a fundraising plan. Each teacher will require differing levels of support and have different fundraising goals. S/he will then work with each teacher to execute the fundraising plan. Fundraising activities may include: grant writing, seeking funds from local businesses, selling of goods (ex. bake sale), crowd funding, and other grassroots fundraising efforts. Travel within New York City will be required to meet in person with teachers, students, and potential funders.
Fundraising plan developed with each teacher
- Each fundraising plan should include a list of the fundraising activities, fiscal goals for each activity, and a timeline. Fiscal goals should be proportionate to the cost of expedition selected by the teacher.
Grassroots fundraising activities
- Assist teachers in researching the wealth network accessible to their students
- Support fundraising events
- Outreach to local businesses and civic organizations to provide sponsorship
- Create and support promotion online crowd funding
- Other means as determined by working with the teachers/students
Grant writing support
- Evaluate suitability of grant opportunities against school/students/trip
- Outreach to grant makers in support of proposals
- Collaborate with teacher on crafting the narrative of grant applications
- Track status of grant applications
Timeline for deliverables
- October 31, 2017 – 12 fundraising plans developed with each teacher
- December 31, 2017 – 15 grant proposals submitted in partnership with teachers, execution on 50% of fundraising activities listed in each fundraising plan
- January 31, 2017 – remainder of fundraising activities from fundraising plans completed or underway. Follow-up conducted for each grant application
- March 31, 2018 – $75,000 raised in partnership with teachers
- Excellent writing skills
- Entrepreneurial drive
- Ability to motivate and inspire others
- Creative and realistic problem-solver
- Charismatic, personable with people across socioeconomic backgrounds (including donors, teachers, and students)
- Ability to meet deadlines while working independently
- Experience with grassroots fundraising strongly preferred
- Understanding of the privilege gap experienced by New York City public school students
- Strong interest in the Earthwatch mission
- Previous experience freelancing or consulting is not required
The consultant rate is $20 per hour for up to 520 hours. As the position will require local travel across New York City, transportation will be reimbursed up to $200 per month, for up to $1,200 over the course of the contract. The contractor shall submit invoices in their own letterhead for payment. The contractor will receive an additional $2,000 payment upon reaching the $75,000 fundraising goal.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their application via the form below.
The application for this contract should include but not necessarily be limited to the following:
- Letter of interest
- Resume or CV indicating qualifications for the contract
- Short essay (1 page or less) answering the following question: How can NYC high school students benefit from participating in a hands-on scientific research expedition?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the appropriate candidate is found.
Any questions concerning this application should be directed to:
Gitte Venicx, Senior Program Manager