Groups Account Manager
Full-time, Exempt, Salaried
For almost 50 years, Earthwatch has connected people from around the planet with world-class scientists to help change environmental policies, achieve critical conservation goals, and produce groundbreaking findings. We support real objective scientific fieldwork while connecting people to the environment in a personal and often profound way. Our participants contribute directly to urgent global environmental issues and have the adventure of a lifetime in the process.
Each and every staff member genuinely believes in our mission. The work we do isn’t just a job; it’s about ensuring a brighter future for our planet. We are passionate, committed to excellence, and supportive of one another - and we love science! Plus, we occasionally get to go out into the field to collect data and be a part of cutting edge hands-on field science.
The goal of this position is to support our global research program by growing group bookings. This includes maintaining current partnerships and creating new ones in order to continue growing the program. Groups are currently sourced from private/public schools, universities, zoos, aquariums, alumni groups, etc. As such, experience in selling to schools, knowledge of educational/experiential learning programs and international travel markets is a valuable asset.
This role will generate, steward, and convert new leads into sales. To achieve success, this highly motivated individual will need to create and implement effective outreach strategies and stewarding plans, work with program managers to ensure product availability, and be able to balance the needs of our customers, the researchers and the organization.
- Meet organizational sales targets for groups through development and execution of long term sales strategy
- Track projected number of group participants and projected gross margin on a quarterly basis
- Prospect leads via phone, email, and in-person at conferences/events
- Create a process-driven approach to convert leads into sales
- Manage and steward these relationships to retain repeat customers
- Deliver world class customer service for each partner throughout the sales and expedition-planning process
- Collaborate with the Communications/Marketing team to create new and engaging content for educators
- Continue to refine your sales skills and techniques through professional development
Candidates from different professional and educational backgrounds can succeed in this role. If the statements below resonate with you, please apply!
- 5 or more years of sales and/or account management experience with track record of results
- Exemplary customer service, interpersonal and relationship-management skills
- Outstanding verbal, written and public speaking/presentation skills
- Innovative and creative problem-solver, always looking to unlock new opportunities
- Flexibility to respond to changing priorities and shift your schedule in order to respond to customer needs
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with ability to meet deadlines
- Detail-oriented while never losing sight of the big picture
- Strong work ethic, self-motivated, and a driven team player
- Passion for getting students and teachers involved in field science
- Knowledge of educational/experiential learning programs and/or working with schools
- Experience with relational databases (such as Customer Relationship Management—CRM)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) and Adobe Creative Suite
- Willingness and ability to work occasional weekends for travel, conferences and partner visits
The position for this location is flexible, but ideally candidates would live or be planning to move to MA (Boston), New York (NYC), or Southern California.
To apply, please submit one document in the resume field below containing all of the following items. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- A cover letter illustrating your qualifications, why you are interested in this internship, and what you are looking to gain from this internship
- A current resume, detailing relevant office and/or field experience
No phone calls please. Due to limited resources, we are only able to accept applicants who are already eligible to work in the United States.
Earthwatch is an equal opportunity employer. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of collaboration, inclusion, and change-making. Employment opportunities are provided to all qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national or regional origin, age, disability status, military or veteran status, or any other category protected by law.
At Earthwatch’s discretion, background checks may be required for some staff, including but not limited to those working with minors or with Human Resources, Finance, or Information Technology responsibilities.