Environmental Education Manager
For almost 50 years, Earthwatch has connected people from around the planet with world-class scientists to help change environmental policies, achieve critical conservation goals, and produce groundbreaking findings. We support real objective scientific fieldwork while connecting people to the environment in a personal and often profound way. Our participants contribute directly to urgent global environmental issues and have the adventure of a lifetime in the process.
Each and every staff member genuinely believes in our mission. The work we do isn’t just a job; it’s about ensuring a brighter future for our planet. We are passionate, committed to excellence, and supportive of one another - and we love science! Plus, we occasionally get to go out into the field to collect data and be a part of cutting edge hands-on field science.
This position will design, deliver, and evaluate experiential learning and leadership programs which engage Earthwatch target audiences including corporate employees, community members, high school students, and teachers. These programs will inspire participants to engage with relevant sustainability/environmental issues, leading to behavior change at individual, organizational, or community levels.
The ideal candidate will combine experience in learning design with considerable knowledge of key sustainability issues including climate change, urbanization, air quality, biodiversity, and ecosystem services, as well as the social and economic drivers of these issues and their impacts. They will have an excellent understanding of frameworks for change, e.g. Sustainable Development Goals, circular economy, and facilitated experiential learning. They will be able to communicate complex information in pragmatic and engaging ways that ultimately empower people to take action and deliver change
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- To design and deliver a range of consistent, high quality experiential learning curriculum that pair with Earthwatch’s citizen science based programs.
- Develop all supporting materials needed to implement the curriculum (facilitator notes, PowerPoint slides, educational web pages, handouts, etc.)
- Understand target audience needs (ex. corporate employees, historically marginalized community members, high school students underrepresented in STEM careers, or teachers) and incorporate these needs into the learning design. Utilize a lens of equity and accessibility in the design of learning curriculum.
- Work closely with Program Managers to ensure continuous improvement of the learning curriculum in support of each program’s objectives and the Earthwatch mission.
- Train other Earthwatch staff to deliver learning sessions as required by each specific grant.
- Measure impact on program participants
- Work with the Development team to develop pitch ideas and demonstrate program impacts to generate funding for the programs.
- Support the development of Earthwatch’s approach on how we effectively communicate critical sustainability issues to a diverse audience.
- To maintain a cohort of Earthwatch staff who are trained in the principles of Earthwatch learning and can be called upon to deliver learning when that capacity is needed.
- Line Management of Impact Manager and other employees as needed
- Travel is required for this position, as they will deliver learning sessions in 1-2 week periods at residential field-based locations and 1 day or evening sessions in urban locations. (In accordance with Earthwatch’s COVID-19 safety protocols.)
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Help to build excellence in Earthwatch’s capacity to develop and deliver high impact, integrated research & learning programs.
- Develop own and team’s capability, bringing in new thinking on innovative approaches to transformational learning and sustainability.
- Contribute to the global learning community of practice by supporting the community to learn & grow professionally.
- Support Program Delivery team on other activities as assigned.
- Excellent understanding of environmental and sustainability agendas, including climate change, urbanization, air quality, biodiversity, ecosystem services, Sustainable Development Goals, etc.
- Passion for the natural world and an ability to inspire this in others.
- Excellent emotional intelligence, cultural sensitivity, and interpersonal skills.
- 4–7 years experience designing inspiring learning content, presentations, workshops, and outdoor sessions for adult and teen learners.
- 4–7 years experience facilitating immersive learning in-person and online, and an ability to explain complex information in accessible and inspiring ways for diverse audiences.
- A knowledge of group dynamics, learning styles, and facilitation techniques.
- Strong understanding of and experience working with learner-centered principles, models and practices for organizational and personal behavior change.
- Experience working with communities that are underrepresented in the outdoors, science, and the environmental industries. (Lived experience is a plus.)
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively as a member of a culturally diverse, multidisciplinary team.
- Willingness to work irregular and long hours in the field—requiring flexibility, organizational skills, collaboration and adaptability.
- Ability to travel roughly 25% per year nationally and internationally, through a combination of 1-2 week overnight trips and day trips which include intermittent nights and weekends. (currently reduced due to COVID-19 pandemic)
- Access to a personal vehicle and valid driver’s license
- Spanish or additional language proficiency is a plus
- Commitment to Earthwatch’s mission and values.
- Location: Earthwatch’s US office is located in Boston, MA. Position locations are determined by job responsibilities. This person should be located within commuting distance to our programs in Boston, MA; Springfield, MA; and Hartford, CT.
- Hours: 40 hours per week. Schedule flexible, to be determined with manager
- Position Type: Full-time, Exempt, Salaried
- Department: Program Delivery
- Reporting to: Director of Program Delivery
- Direct Reports: Impact Manager
- Salary Grade: $53,303–$63,345
- 401k retirement plan with 4% employer match
- Health insurance with health reimbursement, dental insurance, and flexible spending accounts
- 100% employer paid life, long term disability and accidental death & dismemberment insurance, employee assistance program, and short term disability insurance
- Generous paid time off, paid holiday, and parental leave
- Professional development opportunities, including professional development grant program, mentor program, internal and external training, conferences and more
- Fun employee engagement/appreciation events
No phone calls please: Due to limited resources, we are only able to accept applicants who are already eligible to work in the United States.
Earthwatch is an equal opportunity employer: We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of collaboration, inclusion, and change-making. Employment opportunities are provided to all qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national or regional origin, age, disability status, military or veteran status, or any other category protected by law.
Background checks: May be required for some staff, including but not limited to roles working with minors and/or with human resource, finance, or information technology responsibilities.
Physical office closure & COVID vaccinations: Due to COVID-19, Earthwatch’s physical office is closed and most employees are working remotely until further notice. Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required for: employees to enter the physical office, conduct travel for Earthwatch, and/or meet in person with Earthwatch employees or other constituents.
To apply, please submit one document in the resume field below containing all of the following items. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- A cover letter illustrating your qualifications, why you are interested in this internship, and what you are looking to gain from this internship
- A current resume, detailing relevant office and/or field experience