Development Officer – Public Program
Earthwatch is an international environmental nonprofit organization that engages people in scientific field research and education. To achieve our mission, we offer research expeditions at exciting locations around the globe. Participants on these expeditions assist top scientists as they investigate important questions about how we can better protect our planet.
Location: Boston, U.S.
Position Type: Full time, salaried, exempt
Department: Public Program/Development
Reports To: TBA
Closing Date for Applications: TBA
Interview Date: TBA
Salary: $36,565 to $39,655
This role is focused on Earthwatch’s public program of volunteers. Based in the U.S. out of our Boston office, the position will primarily be responsible for the development activities of volunteers from the Americas, United Kingdom and Europe. As such, experience and/or knowledge of the UK/European travel market is a valuable asset.
Please see list below of key responsibilities. Overall, activities focus on serving as the front line ambassador for the organization, responsible for the recruitment and stewardship of potential public volunteers onto scientific research expeditions. The role will be accountable for delivery of an outstanding level of volunteer and donor relations and ensuring ongoing stewardship of participants by phone, email and occasionally in person. Additionally, the Development Officer will be responsible for working collegially with other departments including support of marketing efforts.
- Accountability for individual and team financial targets.
- Provide stewardship to existing volunteers and prospects, fostering a community culture.
- Pipeline management of qualified leads – existing volunteers and new prospects.
- Phone-based outbound calling and email campaigns.
- Accountability for converting in-bound calls into revenue for the organization.
- Data entry of all new leads; maintenance of existing leads.
- Update recruitment reports/dashboards on ongoing basis.
- Attend tradeshows and conferences throughout the year.
- Coordinate efforts with Marketing team including new project announcements, Expedition Guide development and newsletters.
- Responsible for cultivation and solicitation of additional donations from volunteers.
- Assist Program Coordinators with volunteer preparation and forms screening.
- 2 + years experience in development outreach, sales, or recruiting; past experience within a global travel based or non-profit organization a plus.
- Excellent customer service skills and an interest in providing thorough support to volunteers.
- Capable of making outbound calls to existing and prospective volunteers and supporters.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior negotiation skills and ability to persuade.
- Ability to work cooperatively as a member of a team in a fast paced and changing environment.
- Strong prioritization skills, time management and attention to detail.
- High energy, goal oriented, creative and collegial. Sense of humor is key.
- Strong interest in environmental conservation issues.
- International travel experience across a range of countries helpful
- Exceptional computer skills and a propensity for learning new technology programs: sufficient in MS Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Power Point and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends to attend events and functions as required.
- Self-motivated, ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work independently.
- Experience with CRM Databases essential, experience with Microsoft Dynamics 4.0
- Knowledge of networked phone systems, NEC Aspire.
Relationship Soft Skills
- Experience interfacing with multiple users
- Troubleshoot in an efficient, professional and diplomatic manner
- Ability to communicate problems in terms that are understandable to end users at all levels
- Methodical, organized, and able to work under pressure
- Adaptable, perseverant and discreet.
Pay Grade B11 to B15 / $36,565 to 39,655
Due to limited time and financial resources we are only able to accept applicants who are already eligible to work in the United States.
Please indicate job title in subject line of email. Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com; fax 978-897-0935; mail HR Earthwatch Institute, 114 Western Ave, Boston MA 02134. No phone calls please.