THIS POSITION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. PLEASE CHECK MAIN JOBS PAGE FOR OPENINGS.
Earthwatch is an international environmental nonprofit organization that engages people in scientific field research and education. To achieve our mission, we offer research expeditions at exciting locations around the globe. Participants on these expeditions assist top scientists as they investigate important questions about how we can better protect our planet.
Location: Boston, MA
Position Type: Full time, salaried, exempt
Designer with web and print skills will lead creative development and execution of marketing collateral, direct mail, catalogs, display ads and print ads. Designer will also be heavily involved with design and graphical elements of the organization’s website, email campaigns, social media, and mobile apps.
Client is a non-profit in the environmental research and volunteer travel sectors that offers individuals the opportunity to participate on scientific expeditions all over the world. Candidate must be marketing oriented with a positive attitude, strong communication skills, and the ability to juggle multiple priorities while managing their time effectively.
- Serve as the creative lead on all design initiatives, from concept development, to layout creation, to finished product.
- Work from Communication Briefs to design of a range of creative materials, such as direct mail, email campaigns, banner ads, web graphics, infographics, catalogs, brochures, flyers, invitations, posters, exhibition stands, forms, and more.
- Create web page recommendations for the organization’s website.
- Manage photo library and all graphical assets.
- Manage relationships with external printers where necessary, coordinating all aspects of print production, from obtaining print and mailing quotes, to determine production and mail specifications, to overseeing proofing and final delivery.
- Oversee branding guidelines, design standards, and creative templates.
- Assure creative excellent across the organization, including oversight that all aspects of designed work are accurate and proofed.
- Liaise and serve as creative lead with external design agencies, freelancers or intern designers, as required.
- Report to Director of Direct Marketing, and be a valuable player within the organization’s Marketing Department.
- Oversee any other design projects as the organization deems necessary, and based on marketing priorities.
- Mac-based design and efficient in Quark Xpress, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat), and and other Mac utilities (e.g. Fetch, Dropstuff, Extensis Suitcase Fusion).
- Knowledge of web design is a strong advantage (e.g., Dreamweaver, content management systems such as DotNetNuke).
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office packages (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong understanding of print technologies and latest developments in environmental printing.
- Self-starter with excellent attention to detail.