The Earth Skills Network connects business leaders with leaders in conservation through mentoring and skill-sharing opportunities. The knowledge gained through this global network provides new resources to safeguard the future of vital conservation areas.
The Earth Skills Network is a collaboration between Earthwatch, Shell, and UNESCO. We are establishing a broad network of companies and conservationists that can generate meaningful impact on a far greater scale than any group could alone.
The network makes the following possible:
- Sharing the key business skills that strengthen effective conservation management of the world’s most precious natural areas
- Connecting leaders from two sectors through a global network of trained business mentors and motivated conservation managers
- Providing corporate employees with a unique and innovative learning experience, transforming conservation through business skill sharing
WHY PROTECTED AREAS MATTER SO MUCH
Covering more than 12 percent of the world’s land surface, protected areas are the cornerstone of international efforts to conserve biodiversity. They have multiple functions, including safeguarding climate regulation, conserving nature, and enhancing the livelihoods of local people.
However, the staff of as much as 40 percent of protected areas are in dire need of training in business planning to significantly increase the effectiveness of their conservation efforts.
BENEFITS OF JOINING THE EARTH SKILLS NETWORK
Membership in the Earth Skills Network provides the following benefits to companies:
- Opportunities to collaborate with accomplished leaders in industries outside of your own to expand existing networks and trust-based relationships
- Exclusive access to participation in the annual 12-month Business Skills Transfer and Mentoring Program
- Invitations to unique events for members to collaborate and share experiences
- Reduced business risk and improved social license to operate, stemming from enhanced understanding of sustainability issues within the communities in which you operate
- Enhanced staff performance at work; retention of top talent and investment in your talent pipeline
- Being part of the solution and leaving an environmental legacy
BUSINESS SKILL TRANSFER PROGRAM
Central to the Earth Skills Network is the 12-month Business Skills Transfer Program, where selected business managers are trained as mentors and are partnered with relevant protected areas.