At Earthwatch, we believe that ethical business standards and principles are essential to our relationships with our donors.
To ensure that we merit the respect and trust of the general public and to better protect our current and future donors, Earthwatch endorses the following donor rights:
- To be informed of our mission, of the way we use philanthropic gifts, and of our ability to use those contributions effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be kept informed of the identity of those serving on our Board of Directors and to expect the Board to exercise prudent judgment in guiding the organization to greater success.
- To have access to our most recent financial statements in a timely manner.
- To be assured that gifts will be used as the donor has requested.
- To receive timely and appropriate acknowledgment and recognition for their contributions.
- To be assured that sensitive information related to their gifts will be kept confidential to the extent as required by law and will not be publicly acknowledged without the donor’s permission.
- To expect that all interactions with staff within the organization will be professional.
- When being solicited, to be informed whether those seeking support are volunteers, employees, or hired solicitors.
- To request to have their names not released as part of any shared mailing lists or to limit their Earthwatch communications if they so choose.
- To ask questions and to receive timely and truthful responses.