THIS POSITION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. PLEASE CHECK MAIN JOBS PAGE FOR OPENINGS.
Earthwatch is an international environmental nonprofit organization that engages people in scientific field research and education. To achieve our mission, we offer research expeditions at exciting locations around the globe. Participants on these expeditions assist top scientists as they investigate important questions about how we can better protect our planet.
Location: Boston, MA
Position Type: Full time, salaried, exempt
Department: Public Program
The Public Program Coordinator will focus on delivery of the Public Program for North America, United Kingdom and Europe as well as other locations as appropriate, working to prepare all volunteers from the region fielding across the international portfolio. The role will liaise with other Program Coordinators across Earthwatch regions to implement and inform best practice of outstanding customer service as devised by the Program Manager (Global Public Program).
The ideal candidate will ensure the programs you work on deliver an excellent Earthwatch experience, which advances mission objectives, makes best use of resources and meets or exceeds customer expectations. Your focus is on delivering program activities to time, budget and required mission standards, working with your program manager and other team members to deliver results against the agreed business plan. Key to this is being an effective team player and working collaboratively with other parts of Earthwatch to achieve results.
- Prepare public volunteers across international expeditions throughout the year – includes email and phone communication related to expedition experience, volunteer preparation, packing, travel, health, etc. Also includes emailing and mailing standard communications such as confirmations and Expedition Briefings.
- Collect, log and collate volunteer forms. Screen forms for health, travel and volunteer requests.
- Deliver prompt, friendly and consistent high quality customer service & participant stewardship.
- Collect and review evaluation data and respond to volunteer’s feedback.
- Ensure database is maintained to a high standard.
- Field incoming phone calls from potential volunteers, current volunteers and non-Public Program needs.
- Sign international volunteers up for expeditions.
- Participate in regular rotation of Review Meeting attendance – responsible for meeting notes and minutes.
- Participate in external Public Program and Organizational events and activities, such as tradeshows, conferences and presentations.
- Relevant degree in environment, management, science or business.
- Interest in NGO sector, and working globally across different regions.
- Proven track record in project and program coordination and delivery.
- A motivated team member, able to meet deadlines and deliver results across a diverse range of program tasks.
- Enjoy working in cross functional teams to deliver results, demonstrating collaborative working across different teams and functions.
- Ability to manage and respond to your given priorities effectively, learning from your peers and managers and spotting opportunities to do things better.
- Ability to work for different managers on different projects, and is happy to operate in a fluid project-led environment.
- Ability to build responsive and effective relationships respecting different points of view.
- Ability to deliver within high performing teams, working with energy and enthusiasm and managing peers and managers effectively.
- Operating with organizational and personal integrity.
- Understanding and managing your own personal strengths and development areas.
- Good planning and time management skills, delivering results to time and budget while managing competing priorities on an ongoing basis.
- Utilizing technology to aid planning and efficient communication.
- Tracking financial and mission information across programs.
- Understanding external perspectives and internal resource demands.
- Ablilty to review and improve on a continual basis, dealing with ongoing change.
- Demonstrates commitment to Earthwatch’s mission and values.
- Ability to find creative ideas and solutions which overcome obstacles and add value, with a ‘can-do’ positive attitude.
- Ongoing drive to find better ways to do business, able to constructively challenge the status quo in order to drive better mission delivery, revenue generation and results.