Earthwatch is an international environmental nonprofit organization that engages people in scientific field research and education. To achieve our mission, we offer research expeditions at exciting locations around the globe. Participants on these expeditions assist top scientists as they investigate important questions about how we can better protect our planet.
Location: Oxford and London, UK
Position Type: Full time (until December 2016)
Salary: £22,874 - £25,733 (dependent on experience)
Deadline for Application: 6 January 2014
Interviews: w/c 13 January 2014
This is an exciting and rare opportunity to work within both the corporate and NGO sector. Your time will be split between HSBC and Earthwatch (working in the HSBC offices in London approx. 2 or 3 days a week.) You will be working on the HSBC Water Programme (HWP) – an exciting and extensive programme which engages HSBC employees around the world in learning about freshwater matters. Learn more at thewaterhub.org.
You will support the current HWP Co-ordinator at Earthwatch, in the preparation of Citizen Science Leaders (CSLs) for training days.
Whilst working within HSBC, your focus will be on co-ordinating the volunteering and CSL training element of the HSBC Water Programme, providing opportunities for employees to participate. Co-ordination is also required externally with HSBC’s partners (RSPB, Thames21, WWT, as well as Earthwatch), ensuring high levels of employee participation, managing the relationship with these partners and reporting in to the HSBC European Regional Coordinator.
Key to this role is being open to both corporate (HSBC) processes and Earthwatch team work. You will be the link between the two. You will be an effective relationship manager, as well as quick and willing to learn new systems. It is a great opportunity, which could lead to further work within the corporate or environment sector.
- Entering post training evaluation data from CSLs and preparing reports.
- Supporting HWP programme co-ordinator in her absence by preparing CSLs for their training days - entering details on the database and preparing online email notifications, plus gathering necessary materials for the delivery team prior to training days.
- Supporting the HWP team. This could include processing of research data, supporting the online team in their work on the web, or helping team members achieve their objectives.
- Other tasks appropriate to a programme coordinator across the Earthwatch suite of programmes, such as fielding participants and offering support in programme delivery.
- Coordinating participant applications for CSL training days and HWP volunteer days, and preparing the necessary material for the participation list to be sent to Earthwatch.
- Setting up volunteering events for HWP participants to attend. This may include confirming contracts with partners, organizing participants’ travel, discussions with partners to support them on the logistics for the day.
- Ensuring employees are fully briefed prior to their participation.
- Managing the volunteering and CSL data base within HSBC.
- Helping to promote the opportunities available as part of the HSBC Water Programme.
- Providing Management Information on employee participation levels.
- Working with other HWP partners to coordinate volunteer days.
- Work with other HWP partners to collate and review evaluations.
- Help manage content on HSBC intranet and systems.
- Contribute to HSBC online communities.
- Office systems experience, with great attention to detail, accuracy and process. The role involves access to HSBC systems as required, for which training will be given.
- Proven track record in project and programme coordination and delivery.
- Excellent communication skills, you will have experience in developing resources, organising events and engaging with volunteers.
- Experience in relationship management.
- The post holder would need to be based in London a minimum of 2 days a week.
- Desirable, but not essential: Relevant degree in environment, management, science or business, and experience in working across the corporate and environmental sector.
Send cover letter, resume and two references to email@example.com.
No phone calls please.