Location: Boston, MA, United States
Position Type: Intern (unpaid)
Assist with a variety of tasks relating to the development of and impacts of research projects Earthwatch supports across climate change, biodiversity conservation, ecosystem services, marine biology, and archaeology and culture.
Internships offer training in a variety of tasks and provide individuals an opportunity to be part of an exciting and dynamic team. Internship responsibilities may shift with seasonal needs. Responsibilities may include:
- Assessing the impacts of field-based research projects on local ecological systems, socio-cultural systems, management plans, and on regional, national, and international policies.
- Evaluating links between scientific results/recommendations with on-the-ground application, effective partnerships, and community-based initiatives.
- Evaluating the increase of scientific knowledge through scientific peer reviewed journal articles and other media.
- Writing the scientific outputs and outcomes of Earthwatch projects in a way that is accessible to the public on the web.
It is beneficial for applicants to have:
- Understanding of biology, ecology, environment, anthropology, or any of the areas of science that Earthwatch supports.
- Self-starter, flexible, and able to multi-task.
- Experience with ArcGIS is a plus.
Earthwatch interns can take part in the Intern Credit Program in which they receive credits to use towards a qualified Earthwatch expedition and are invited to participate in all Earthwatch activities. We require a minimum commitment of 120 hours over a minimum of 1 month. We also encourage use of the internship for academic credit, thesis, or practicum work towards degree or certificate programs.
We are only able to accept-Massachusetts based applicants into the program, or those with a confirmed place to stay within commuting distance to Boston. Applicants must currently be eligible to work in the United States. All interns are required to have individual health insurance. Placement will be subject to qualifications and availability.
To apply, please submit one document in the resume field below containing all of the following items. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- A Cover Letter illustrating your qualifications, why you are interested in this internship, and what you are looking to gain from this internship.
- A current resume, detailing relevant field and/or office experience.
- Your availability (days per week, and months of availability).
- Full contact information for three professional and/or personal references.
- A recent writing sample excerpt.