Location: Boston, MA, United States
Position Type: Intern (unpaid)
Deadline for Application: December 10, 2015
Earthwatch supports field research that utilizes highly motivated non-specialist volunteers, also called citizen scientists, to collect data.
The Research Department is responsible for soliciting, reviewing, and recommending research proposals for funding and supporting researchers throughout their Earthwatch careers. Earthwatch supports cutting-edge science through field-based expeditions that address:
• What is changing? (Discovery)
• Why is it changing? (Understanding)
• What can we do? (Action)
Research Associate Interns will assist the Research Department in a variety of tasks to help support the research team and Earthwatch scientists.
Internships offer training in a variety of tasks and provide individuals an opportunity to be part of an exciting and dynamic team. Internship responsibilities may shift with seasonal needs. Responsibilities may include:
- Tracking impacts of field-based research projects on local ecological systems, socio-cultural systems, management plans,and on regional, national, and international policies
Evaluating project contributions to theincrease of scientific knowledge through scientific peer reviewed journalarticles
Writing scientific outputs and outcomes of Earthwatch projects in a way that is accessible to the public
- Data entry and management
This is an office-based position. Ideal candidates will have:
- Understanding of biology, ecology, environment, anthropology
- Good attention to detail
- Adaptability, multi-tasking skills, and the ability to be a self-starter
As part of Earthwatch’sIntern Program, interns earn expedition credits and travel stipends that can beused towards a qualified Earthwatch Expedition. Interns are also invited toparticipate in Earthwatch activities. We require a minimum commitment of 120hours over a minimum of one month. We also encourage use of the internship foracademic credit, thesis, or practicum work towards degree or certificateprograms.
All applicants must make their own living arrangements forthem to stay within commuting distance to Boston, placement will be based onqualifications and availability.
To apply, please submit one document in the resume field below containing all of the following items. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- A Cover Letter illustrating your qualifications, why you are interested in this internship, and what you are looking to gain from this internship
- A current resume, detailing relevant office and/or field experience
- Your availability (days per week, and months of availability)
- Full contact information for three professional and/or personal references
- A recent writing sample excerpt (1 page max)